This past Sunday, I listened to my pastor talk about the parable of the mustard seed. Matthew 13:31-32 I’d always heard it and thought about how the tiniest bit of faith could literally move mountains. Pretty amazing but that’s where the parable always stopped for me. As I listened Sunday, I heard a different take on those tiny seeds. Here are a few takeaways:
1. Don’t get fought up in doing BIG things. Small acts of obedience can lead to BIG things.
2. The mustard seed represents what I sow daily. Am I sowing seeds of love, kindness, generosity, faith, truth? Am I being intentional about sowing seeds? Am I sowing the right seed with my husband, kids, coworkers, neighbors, etc.?
3. I may sow a seed that never comes to fruition. Or at least, that I will ever see. We sow the seed, someone else may water it, another may tend it. Ultimately, God sees to it that the seed grows.
4. We have to remain faithful to the planting. If we remain faithful, He will bless our efforts.
5. This seed planting can refer to other areas of our lives too-physical, emotional, relational. I mean the first day I decide to make better eating choices is not the same day I lose 20 pounds.
Just remember, the day you plant the seed is not the day you eat the fruit. Keep going. You got this!